Friday, December 31, 2010

Tory Hayden, New Years Eve, and My "Little Problem"

Years ago I read my first Tory Hayden book. She was my introduction to the world of E/BD Special Education. Through her books, I fell in love with those tough kids the rest of the school system had given up on. Her books never made it look easy, but I wanted it. When I found out about Rutland, I knew that I would teach there one day. I just never thought it would as a first year teacher.I knew that I would face some specific organizational challenges. I've always struggled with certain...well...see, when there are lots of...um, well...I can always get to that in a minute.
So, I was coping with school, but starting to burn out a little bit. Then, I had my first practicum and remembered why I was there. After that, the practicums were the highlight of everything. And there were no real issues with my, um, problem. Then, I started my student teaching experience.
Slowly, gradually, the problem reared it's ugly head. That's right. I had to cope with...um, see, it's...papers. You know, the dark side of teaching.I started teaching with really good intentions. I swear. But before long my desk was covered in them. They were everywhere. Hanging out of the kids desks. Stuffed into files in the cabinet. In heaps and stacks all over my desks, that's right, both of them.
O.k. Maybe that's a little bit melodramatic. But, it's no exaggeration that my administrator finally started making threats about my evaluations actually being damaged. Since then, I've been...well...sort of...hiding...the, um papers. It's been driving me NUTS.So, I decided that this vacation would be the perfect time to fix the problem. I brought home everything that wasn't already in a file to get it sorted.
So that's been my big project the last few days. Organizing the papers. And trying to figure out how to stay that way. I've also come to realize that there are some other things that I want to do better. So, I guess that's how this turns into a New Years Eve post. I'm determined to do better, to be the teacher I really want to be. I'm going to be the teacher I've wanted to be since I read "One Child".
There were lots of things Tory Hayden never talked about in her books. Some, because they weren't really an integral part of the story that she was relating. And some because they weren't things that she had to deal with then. Are those "improvements" for the better or worse? I don't always know. There are things that she had the...freedom, I guess?...to do that I don't. Everything that I do has to be justified either by the behavior modification system we use, the Georgia Performance Standards, or - most importantly - the child's IEP. If it's not found in one of those three places, I really can not justify doing it. So, that's a problem. Also, I am required to do a lot more than she was, which puts huge limits on my time. But these things, for now, are the reality of what I have to work with. I won't let them be my excuse for not achieving my goals.
Also, some of what I am now required to do probably is an improvement. I'm sure Torey would have done it better, but just give me a few years.
Miriam insists on getting me ready for my "photo shoot". Check out her faux leather pants! Love it!




P.S. I LOVE EGGNOG!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh good... I'm not the only one with "that problem." I'm soooo disorganized. The top drawer of my filing cabinet is FULL of papers that I've just shoved there to organize at a later date. I'm going to have to go in a few days when I'm off track at the the end of the month just to organize papers. Ugghh! We'll both figure it out. If nothing else... there's always the recycling bin! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a few days to get it done, but I'm finally finished. What is sad about the pictures is that you can't see the biggest pile of all. Behind me is a large box that is literally overflowing with the papers that I threw away. I had already gone through one round of sorting papers the day before.
    Wish me luck that I don't get to this point again.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please understand how much we "handicapped parents" appreciate your efforts, despite all the paperwork. We just waded through Denny's IEP and all the paperwork required, and are glad to have had a caring, knowledgeable person to guide us.
    Thanks for your efforts and happy new year...

    ReplyDelete